Friday, May 22, 2009

Pictures from the Carriage House

Two weekends ago I took the opportunity to visit the Stone House during its seasonal grand opening. There were vendors of soaps and linens and other such things that I passed by on my way to the Carriage House. Here are a few of the things you will find if you take the time and opportunity to make a visit.

The central figure on the main floor of the carriage house -- this lovely gilded carriage that used to take people to and from the train.

And a beautiful hearse with hand-carved wood and exquisite detailing.

A high-wheeler, or penny farthing, or ordinary. The pedals don't turn in a circle as our bicycles today, but instead work by a pumping motion. See here for more.

Upstairs there are sleighs and baby carriages and tools and this assortment of old looms.

I also have a selection of pictures from inside the old newspaper press building, but those will have to wait until later. If you just can't wait, make a visit to the Stone House Museum on 202, just outside Belchertown center. I haven't made it inside yet, but it's on my list of things to do soon!
_____

1 comment:

kcb said...

lovely.

reminds me of something we might see in the old reeves carriage house. :-)

 

Photographs and text copyrighted by Livin' In the Belch blog author, unless otherwise stated.