Sunday, May 17, 2009

Speakeasy Music for the 21st Century

That's how Unit 7 defines itself on its website. Last night I made my first excursion out to the Iron Horse (which was a little loud). Yes, my first. The initial reason for going was to hear Roger Salloom, who, after living in Northampton for 29 years, was finally making his debut headlining at the Iron Horse. And he and his band were fun listening -- nice singer songwriter music, with some truly lovely pieces. He has a great history, and I encourage you to check out his website to read it and to hear some of his songs.

But the intro band. Wow -- did I enjoy them! I have been a fan of swing and related genres for ages and ages, having grown up with grandparents who played jazz piano and listened to the greats like Duke Ellington and Count Basie, Louis Armstrong, and the like. I used to dance East Coast Swing and Balboa and anything else that came around at the swing clubs in Boston when I lived there. And I guess I didn't truly realize how much I missed the music and dancing of jazz, funk, and blues until Unit 7 started playing last night. Loads of fun, and I recommend getting out to see them -- and maybe dancing a few steps if there's space to do it. A great dance band.
_____

No comments:

 

Photographs and text copyrighted by Livin' In the Belch blog author, unless otherwise stated.