Monday, March 9, 2009

Alien Life Forms: the Pod People

Out on my walk yesterday, in the fair March weather, sun shining, breeze blowing, I trekked into the woods, off the road and towards a plank bridge crossing a roaring brook. And there on the ground, rising up amidst patches of snow and dead leaves, were the pods. Dark purple and sickly green, they caught my eye, obviously developing rapidly in the balmy spring weather.
They look like plant life, but could they be... alien life forms come to take over the state of Massachusetts? Dependent on the thawing of the earth and nourished by the sun until they are ripe enough to send clouds of toxins into our atmosphere or big enough to hatch the beings that develop inside them? To conquer the state and then the nation and then the world? I counted fourteen of these pods in a very small area. Probably enough to take over the whole of Belchertown and possibly surrounding areas. Are we facing another Invasion of the Body Snatchers or War of the Worlds?
_____

2 comments:

kcb said...

ohmigosh do you remember when we watched "attack of the killer tomatoes" in my elizabeth street apartment in slc? i think we both commented it felt like the longest movie ever made. lol. we should pick a couple more of those up for my fast-approaching visit. :-)

kris said...

Sorry, Em. These are not aliens afterall. I believe they are skunk cabbage plants. I love them. We generally have quite a number of them back in the little valley - haven't checked yet this "spring" but if you have them growing in your neci of the woods, I am certain we must as well. I shall check on my afternoon walk with Chip and Sylvia.

 

Photographs and text copyrighted by Livin' In the Belch blog author, unless otherwise stated.