Sunday, September 21, 2008

Autumn Apples

Today as I was driving along Bay Road, the autumn air smelled of apples. The road is lined with apple orchards, broad leafy trees loaded with red fruit. It's a part of fall that I love and look forward to every year -- apple trees, apples, applesauce, apple crisp.

Some of those apple orchards belong to Atkins Farms -- and some of those are even pick-yourself apples. According to the signs (which I could only somewhat read, since I was driving), apple picking is from 10-5. I don't have details on days they make pick-your-own available, but at least I know for sure where one of the closest orchards is. I know there are many many more (like Hamilton Orchards, where I picked the raspberries), and I'm looking forward to discovering them and gathering apples from them, too.

I was remembering earlier this evening about a time in grade school, maybe 1st or 2nd grade, where we focused for a week (as I remember) on apples and apple products. We did apple reports, apple projects, had apple food each day, and created an apple recipe book. It was a wonderful week, and a great way to introduce the bounties of nature and all the possibilities that come from one simple piece of fruit.
_____

No comments:

 

Photographs and text copyrighted by Livin' In the Belch blog author, unless otherwise stated.